A new and exciting event called the Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon – The Adventure Series will debut next year to spur Sabah’s tourism industry. State Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun said the internationally known Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon which produced many strong climbers from Malaysia and across the globe ends this year.
He said this is done to provide a wider range of tourism products in the state through recreational activities and not just sports.
“This event will be replaced by a new and more challenging series called the Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon – The Adventure Series, which is 23 kilometres compared to the 21 kilometres previously.
“We will begin the event next year when the tracks are fully completed and participants no longer need to race to the peak of Mount Kinabalu,” he told reporters after attending a presentation ceremony, here Friday.
Celcom presented a RM30,000 sponsorship for the Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon taking place on Oct 22 and 23.
Masidi said the new route has long been used by local residents but needed to be improved for the safety and comfort of participants.
“The new route will cross through several villages in Kundasang. It starts at Dewan Taman Kinabalu and then into Timpohon, Masilou and other villages around Mount Kinabalu.
“Participants will also be able to enjoy the beautiful scenery of villages there,” he said.
The ministry also plans to make the event an annual affair.